Successful MES Implementation
Organizations need to ensure they are in control of the MES implementation and not at the mercy of the software vendors and implementation partner for success. Organization need to plan whole implementation process thoroughly and top-level management needs to drive the initiatives within the organization to ensure success.
MES manages and tracks all the activities and resources throughout the entire production process, including machines, materials, and people.MES solutions have evolved to fill the communication gap between the MRP, MRPII, ERP etc.. and control systems used to the run the equipment in the floor (SCADA & PLC). MES Modules include Downtime, Production, Quality, Tracking, cost, Planning, Maintenance, and Recipe. According to McClellan (1197), some MES projects fail, not because of computer or software malfunction but most frequently, from the poor definition, extensive customization of the software can lead to faults in the system and serious integration problems with other systems.
MESA international’s white paper 1, 1996 research shows, that the befits users experience are significant.
- Reduce manufacturing cycle time by an average of 45%
- Reduce data entry time, by 75%
- Reduce work in progress (WIP) by an average of 24%
- Reduce paperwork between shifts by an average of 61%
- Reduced lead time, by an average of 27%
- Reduced paperwork and blueprint losses by an average of 56%
- Reduced amount of rework due to these losses by 56%
- Reduced product defects by an average of 18%
- Reduce waste.